Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Peppermint Bark Popcorn

I believe making homemade goodies is one of the best ways to share my love for friends and family. So with the holiday season already upon us, I wanted to show you one of my favorite gifts from the kitchen, and hopefully more to come. This is a recent discovery, a friend made something very similar for me earlier in the season.


I think this might be the perfect Christmas treat because:
1. It's yummy.
2. It's e.a.s.y. So easy! And quick too.
3. Just one batch makes enough to fill up lots of goodie bags.
4. It packs well. It's dry and in small pieces, so it's perfect for filling any type of container, or throwing it in a big bowl for a party.
5. Did I mention it's yummy?

Recipe:
16-20 C popped popcorn (fresh, or about 2 bags microwave popcorn)
1 lb Almond Bark
1 6oz box candy canes, crushed. (About 1-1 1/2 C total)
2 tea. peppermint extract
3/4 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
*one bag microwave popcorn has about 10 cups in it, so if you're air-popping, do about 20 cups.

Okay, I have to admit unwrapping the candy canes and crushing them is the most labor intensive step of this easy-peasy treat. I put my candy canes in a large zip-lock bag and have a whack with a hammer, but a heavy marble rolling pin would work.

Thanks for taking a look and who knows, maybe this will become a new tradition for you and your family.

No comments: