Saturday, September 13, 2008

I'm Back....

So, I went on Vay-K to get some needed rest and relaxation. Mack and I packed up my ride, Fordetta and off we went. Our destination: The Black Hills of South Dakota. Once, arriving at our little cabin in the woods surrounded by big towering pine trees, and deer with soft looking velvet antlers, I knew that the R & R was going to begin soon. However, needless to say I was wrong. There were Presidents to learn about, caves to explore, treasure to be found and miles of scenic roads to be viewed. It all was calling my name and I had a great time learning, climbing, walking and driving. Might I suggest if you have never been there, you must go. Plan to stay awhile, don't just go for a day. You will be very sad if you do. I took around 200 pictures while I was gone. Can you say "Scrapbook"? Here is some photos to take a look see at. Enjoy.



The day we went to Mt. Rushmore it was absolutely beautiful out. The sun was shinning and it was warm. No bugs. Oh, and the aroma of the pine trees. Loved it. It was like inhaling happiness. I definitely would suggest taking the Presidential Walk. The views were spectacular.


Also, I would like to suggest going for a day trip on the Needles Highway. I have to say I'm really not a fan of heights. Oh, and driving in heights. Are you crazy? But, friends I did it. I'm was very proud of myself. The sights were just amazing. I loved all the tunnels you get to go though. I think this was the best part of the trip for me.

We went to two different types of caves. This picture was taken at Rushmore Cave. A great place. Mack and I arrived right at opening and started the tour with our guide "Tom" one of the owners. He was a great guide. We probably were into the tour for about five minutes when we were joined by a group of six from Poland. They did not speak English so their translator repeated everything back to them. Our tour took longer then expected, so we missed our train to Hill City. This was a bummer, but a good reason to go back. LOL Our second cave was also interesting. However, this one had 185 small ladder stairs going down into it. Yes, don't forget if you go down, you must come back up. You got it right, 185 small ladder stairs out. For some reason going up is a lot harder then going down. Go figure! =) On this trip we were joined by two young ladies from Germany out sight seeing the US. How cool is that.

Are you up for one more picture? Another attraction that was really neat was the "Cosmos Mystery Area". This attraction truly amazed me. Nothing works normal here...balls roll upward, you can't stand straight and water flows upward. It was exciting. The tour of this place is guided and our guide Heidi gave us good information about the place. The tour ran for about 30 minutes and we enjoyed it a lot. This attraction is definitely a don't miss attraction in my opinion. This is a picture of Erwin in one of the demonstrations. I had never saw such a big grin on Mack's face, until we went here. He was having the time of his life. It also helped that Heidi picked on him more then anyone else. LOL

Well I hope you enjoyed the pics. I had a great time and can't wait to travel, rest and learn more again soon. Until next time. Happy Trails.

PS. I'm praying for my friends in Houston. It seems Ike was not friendly to them. I hope that I can contact them soon. I know most of them went North. I pray that they will find their homes in one piece once they return. Please say a prayer for them. They need all they can get at this time. Thanks. Jody

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your trip sounds wonderful and you saw so many sites!! Now I want to go there too. Soooo much to see so little time!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope your friends are safe! Glad your'e back!