Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Common Loon...


A few weeks ago I went fishing to one of the many lakes north of my house. Once I arrived at the lake I was shocked to find not one, but two loons. For the longest time I would go to this lake and feel incredibly sad for the poor lonesome loon. I'm glad to report that those feelings can be casted aside and I can rejoice. A friend at last! I can't believe my ears, that another loon has answered the eerie yodel of his call. How sweet.

I would like to share a couple of facts with you that I find cool.
  • Loons are water birds, only going ashore to mate and incubate eggs. Their legs are placed far back on their bodies. Therefore this allows efficient swimming but awkward movement on land.


  • The Common Loon is flightless for a few weeks after molting all of its wing feathers at the same time in midwinter.

So next time I go to the lake I hope that I see both of them together again. I also hope that I will be able to capture a better picture of the two love birds. I have to be quick. So until then I will keep practicing my speediness at picture taking.

Thanks for stopping in and happy trails!

No comments: