Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Smell of Fall...

I bet if you took a poll one out of every five people would say that they have a love/hate relationship with Autumn because it means that summer is over in some parts of the country and winter is just around the corner. I live in one of those areas that has a not so mellow winter and yet, when the leaves begin to change and the air begins to smell like leaves and wood stoves burning, I just get a sense of calm.



This also my favorite time of year to walk. I take advantage of the short time that I have with Autumn and I try to be outside as much as possible to take it all in. I usually go late in the afternoon, when it is just about to get dark because that is when it is not too cold but not warm out either. The air does not chill my lungs when I breath in but I still need a long sleeve sweatshirt when I head out the door. Now, even though I adore being outside during this time of year, I need to gush about the most incredible smell when I walk in my house.



No, it is not the smell of my wet dog that smells once again like a skunk (I lost track of how many times this makes.) My absolute favorite smell when I walk in my door (I am taking a deep breath in right now)... is Pumpkin Pie from Yankee Candle. Oh, this smell just makes my home a home. This candle is a miracle worker! I do not have a fireplace, but I do not even care, because with this candle, I curl up on the couch with a good book or movie and just settle in with a warm fuzzy blanket. If you have not gotten this candle yet, now is the time to do it!! I also recommend burning 'Autumn Wreath' in a nearby room and then 'Harvest' in another. All of the scents melt together to form the ultimate fall smell right in your own home! (p.s. thanks to Yankee Candle company for their beautiful picture. I didn't think you wanted to see my half burned up candle.)


So go ahead! Run baby run and then light up... a candle!

No comments: